Tuesday 21 April 2009

This better not be in Hindi...

Right. Hello. After an inaugural hiatus involving phantom posts and automatically transliterationising words I have landed, in blog form.

As is the norm with peers in my course, I feel a top five films is in order. This became (a) problematic in class today and will remain so in this post:

1. The Italian Job (1969)
Cars, British Humour, 'timeless style'.

2. Jumanji
I feel this spot could be occupied by any other interchangable childhood film, eg Disney's The Lion King, or my first cinematic experience, Aladdin.

3. The Beach
We all have our guilty pleasures; interesting enough as it is that I may even feel the need to defend myself on this one. Although not universally well-received, director Danny Boyle and writer Alex Garland's escapist adventure resonates in me, or it did for a few years before everyone else on facebook had overrun Thailand before I had the chance. Also from the same team, 28 Days Later and maybe a little less, Sunshine.

4. Goldeneye
This Bond film ages perhaps better than any other, and was shown to me I guess at an age when I was most receptive/responsive to it.

5.
I have been sitting here trying to force one out (a fifth film that is, you dirty swines) but I think I'll have to leave it there. Shawshank didn't end up making it because right at the last minute I felt it would be a cop-out, a place-stealer, perhaps sitting there nonplussed at making another boring list in the spot where something more deserving of the publicity or more revealing of my own self and what I identify with could be. There are many, many films that could be here. Nearly all of those mentioned by other students that I have seen would definately be worthy of mention here.


Considering this, I want to point out that I am not a film buff. I am incredibly interested in them, to the point of putting off those who aren't as much, but at the same time if I encounter another enthusiast more accomplished than myself then I feel a little defeated, a little purposeless. They're just nerds. It's fascinating how invested you become in them as subjects and/or as pieces of entertainment, how you feel you have some of them or them of you. So i'll try my best at venturing the term enthusiast. Also, I feel I haven't seen enough yet to gain some form of wise all-roundedness that Margaret and David of ABC fame have, or did have (in the mind of one of my English tutors last year) quite some time ago, before their lenses all blurred into one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.